Leaning towards an old wood-burning fireplaces to help cut your heating bill this winter? Before you spark a log you should know, fireplaces and chimneys are involved in 42% of all home-heating fires. So before you use your fireplace, ensure you know how to properly use it and follow these safety tips.
- Hire a chimney sweep – The National Fire Protection Association recommends that chimneys be swept at least once a year to remove soot and debris. A professional chimney sweep should also inspect for any damages.Cap your chimney – Chimney caps will keep rain, birds, squirrels, and debris fromentering your chimney. Repair or replace a missing or damaged cap.
- Burn seasoned hardwood – Choose dense wood that has been split and stored in a high and dry place for at least 6 months.
- Don’t overload – Small fires generate less smoke and less creosote buildup. Large, hot fires can potentially crack your chimney.
- Build it right – Place logs at the rear of the fireplace on a metal grate. Use kindling instead of flammable liquids to start the fire.
- Use a spark guard. Spark guards will prevent embers from shooting out of the fireplace. A guard in front of the fireplace is especially important when the room is unoccupied.
Winter is coming. It will be here before we know it. Get everything prepared for the cold months now before it’s too late! Stay warm and safe all winter long.
Matney Construction, located in Mount Airy, Maryland, specializes in building new homes and residential remodeling. We know that the decision to build or remodel a home is no easy thing. As a family owned and operated business, we work closely with our clients to create their dream home, from custom floor plans and options, to bath and kitchen remodels. Whether it’s a single room or an entire home, we pride ourselves on meeting your quality standards, timeline and budget. Contact us today to have our professional design experts help you make your home unique, stylish, and in-tune with your personality. (410) 635-2500 email@example.com